Join us for Fireside Chats this fall hosted by the LaunchPad. Each guest is a dynamic innovator with a powerful message, unique perspective and insight into the minds of great entrepreneurs. Fireside Chats will be 3 p.m. on Fridays and are open to the community. Dates this fall are: September 4, 11, 18, 25, October 2, 9, 23, 30, and November 6, 20. We invite you to join us over a cup of tea for up-close and personal chats in partnership with The Republic of Tea, a generous supporter of the LaunchPad at Syracuse University. Attend any chat in the series: http://bit.ly/launchpad-fall-fireside-chat.
Our first guest, Friday, September 4 at 3 p.m. brings a particularly unique perspective to the topic of leadership. Stan Linhorst retired from Syracuse.com/The Post-Standard in September 2017, but continues to write the weekly column Conversations on Leadership (http://bit.ly/LeadershipStan).
The series, which has run for six consecutive years, is widely followed. Through interviews that cut to the heart of personal qualities and professional skill sets that build, motivate and engage great teams, Linhorst explores perspectives on positive leadership. From infusing drive and passion, to building connections, creating a culture of transparency and trust, and operating with humility and creativity – what are the lessons learned from interviews with hundreds of leaders who have built great organizations and changed lives? Linhorst has an inside view derived from conversations with his subjects that are remarkably intimate, touching on topics such as leading yourself, other individuals, groups, and communities. Our Fireside chat with him will tease out the leadership lessons learned worth sharing.
Linhorst is also an innovator and thought leader. He came to Syracuse from the San Diego Union-Tribune in 1984. He became Senior Managing Editor of The Post-Standard in 1999. Linhorst previously was the newspaper’s Director of New Media, launched Syracuse.com in 1994, and is gratified to see how his startup succeeded.
He was president of the New York State Associated Press Association and the Syracuse Press Club. He is an emeritus member on the Board of Advisors of the Syracuse University School of Information Studies and is a member of Thursday Morning Roundtable. He has sat on the boards of the New York State Society of Newspaper Editors and the Interactive Newspaper Network. He participated in a variety of community groups and was especially active as a volunteer and supporter of his children’s church, school and community activities.
Linhorst is a 1975 journalism graduate of the University of Nebraska. He grew up on a farm in Nebraska, where the daily newspaper was a daily inspiration. He and his wife, Sue, have two adult children.
He is the proud parent of Molly Katherine Carroll Linhorst, SU’s student graduation speaker in the Dome in May 2014.
Recent profiles by Stan Linhorst about Syracuse University LaunchPad student startups and alumni, and about Syracuse University faculty and staff engaged in the campus innovation ecosystem:
- AJ Damiano: https://www.syracuse.com/news/2020/08/aj-damiano-on-leadership-care-more-about-other-peoples-careers-to-find-your-own-success.html
- Caleb Obiagwu: https://www.syracuse.com/news/2020/08/caleb-obiagwu-on-leadership-for-entrepreneurs-share-your-ideas-to-make-them-better.html
- Kelsey Davis: https://www.syracuse.com/news/2020/06/kelsey-davis-of-cllctve-on-leadership-control-ego-talk-less-listen-more.html
- Josh Aviv: https://www.syracuse.com/news/2019/11/josh-aviv-on-leadership-a-good-leader-makes-people-better.html
- Indaria Jones: https://www.syracuse.com/news/2019/09/indaria-jones-on-leadership-be-authentic-be-open-minded-help-others-to-succeed.html
- Mike Gursha: https://www.syracuse.com/news/2020/03/michael-gursha-on-leadership-listen-keep-an-open-mind-give-feedback-to-your-team.html
- Erin Miller: https://www.syracuse.com/news/2016/05/erin_miller_leadership.html
- John Torrens: https://www.syracuse.com/news/2019/11/john-torrens-on-leadership-put-your-ego-aside-ask-questions-and-listen.html
- Andrew Farah: https://www.syracuse.com/news/2019/07/andrew-farah-on-leadership-hire-based-on-values-that-will-add-to-your-teams-culture.html
- Jeff Rubin: https://www.syracuse.com/news/2018/11/jeff_rubin_leadership.html
- Jack Rudnick: https://www.syracuse.com/news/2019/12/jack-rudnick-on-leadership-show-compassion-build-trust-ask-questions-to-accelerate-innovation.html
- Linda Dickerson Hartsock: https://www.syracuse.com/news/2017/02/linda_dickerson_hartsock_leadership.html
To read more stories in the series: http://bit.ly/LeadershipStan then click on the link, bookmark it, then check each week for a new Conversation on Leadership
For more information about Fireside Chats, reach out to: mailto:LaunchPad@syr.edu and follow up on social media @LaunchPadSYR