Looking for an entrepreneurial way to fulfill your Whitman School internship requirement? Legally incorporated LaunchPad alumni ventures can be a great learning experience. LaunchPad companies have raised $54 million in outside equity funding and are looking for interns. Be part of the dynamic startup world and learn from Orange innovation leaders.
Whitman students must have junior standing in order for the internship to qualify, and are expected to complete their internship experience during the summer between their junior and senior year. Some options are non-credit bearing, while other choices offer credit hours and/or are required for specific majors.
- What qualifies as an “approved” internship?
- The experience must be an extension of the classroom: a learning experience that provides for applying the knowledge gained in the classroom.
- The experience must consist of a minimum of 120 on-site hours within an incorporated business, whether public or private.
- You should have the opportunity to develop and demonstrate action-oriented problem solving, critical thinking and persuasive business communication skills.
- You must be exposed to “real” job situations relevant to your major, helping you understand the strengths of your qualifications and areas for improvement.
- The experience has a defined beginning and end, and a job description with desired qualifications.
- There is direct supervision by a professional with educational and/or professional background in the field of the experience.
- There are resources, equipment, and facilities provided by the host employer that support learning objectives/goals.
If you’re interested in potentially pairing with a successful Syracuse University startup, let us know at LaunchPad@syr.edu, and we’ll be glad to share some ideas.
If you have any additional questions or concerns, please connect with the Whitman Internship team at email@example.com
For students: How to register an internship on Handshake
1. Log Into Handshake
◦Click the “Career Center” tab in the top right corner of the screen
◦In the drop down menu select “Experiences”.
◦You will then click the tab that says, “Request an Experience.”
2. In the “Experience Type” drop down you will type in: Whitman – Internship Requirement
◦In the “Term” drop down, directly below where you put in your internship type, you will enter the semester you will be completing the internship. (Example: Summer 2019)
3. Fill in the “Employer” Section with the Appropriate Information.
4. Next You Will Fill in the “Job” Section Accordingly.
◦In the “Job Type” drop down menu make sure you type in/select “Internship”.
5. After You Have Completed Filling Out All of the Information, Click the Button that says: Request Experience.
* Toward the end of the selected term an employer evaluation will be sent to the email address listed under the “Approver” section!*
For employers: Register your internship opportunity on Handshake and be sure to note that you are a LaunchPad alumni venture
We are thrilled that our successful LaunchPad ventures are entrepreneurial role models for the next generation of Orange business and civic leaders. LaunchPad alumni have launched 140 ventures companies and raised more than $54 million in outside investment. Four were named to Forbes 30 Under 30 This Year. One was on Shark Tank this fall and walked away with $1 million in the fall 2021 season premier. They have launched companies in sectors like food, fashion, health, fitness, e-commerce, clean tech, medtech, media and entertainment, gaming, advanced tech like VR/AR and AI, blockchain, data analytics and the Internet of Things.