Global Entrepreneurship Week Syracuse 2017 kicks off, Monday, November 13 in Bird Library, Peter Graham Scholarly Commons, Room 114. The week-long campus celebration is being coordinated by the Blackstone LaunchPad.
The kickoff, from noon to 1 p.m. features:
- Welcome by Dean David Seaman, Syracuse University Libraries
- Brief remarks, Dean Teresa Abi-Nader Dahlberg, College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Featured presentation by the founders of the Invention Factory at Cooper Union who also helped collaborate to launch Invent@SU
- Student inventor showcase featuring Charles Keppler, Founder, FibreFree
- Networking reception
Join Invention Factory founders, Erica Lima, director, The Open-Source Hardware Laboratory, Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Alan N. Wolf, Professor and Chair of Physics, for a journey through the world of Invention.
Invent@SU is based on the Invention Factory, an intensive program to identify a need and invent a tangible product as a solution. Invent@SU, supported by Bill and Penny Allyn, trains undergraduate Syracuse University students to “design, prototype, and pitch” as they invent products. Powered by Invention Factory, this immersive, six-week program is held on the SU campus and at the SU Fisher Center in New York City.
Invent@SU follows a proven method of developing students’ abilities to innovate and communicate. Students learn about design, ideation and intellectual property, then conceive an original invention, prototype the invention, and refine it in response to weekly feedback from diverse audiences of guest evaluators. Student inventors participate in a cash prize competition at which a panel of distinguished designers, inventors, engineers and patent attorneys choose the best inventions.
In addition to a chance to win cash prizes of $5,000 for best invention and $3,000 for second best invention, students receive:
- A $1,000 stipend
- A $1,000 budget per team for project materials
- Guidance from expert consultants and evaluators
- Access to laser cutters, 3D printers, a machine shop, and professional machinists
- Assistance with a provisional patent application
This event will also officially launch the 2018 cross-campus call for applicants to Invent@SU.
Learn more and apply: http://invent.syr.edu/about/
A reception follows the presentation.